05 Apr 5 Spring Flowers to Plant in Illinois
Spring is here; now is the perfect time to start planting your spring flowers in Illinois. Some of the best options for March and early April include pansies, violas, and much more. These annuals provide colorful blooms and add a touch of cheer to your garden.
When planting, prepare the soil by adding compost or other organic matter to help your flowers thrive. In addition, be sure to choose a location with plenty of sunlight and well-draining soil.
Here are five spring flowers to consider planting in Carol Stream, Illinois this spring:
- Pansies: These cheerful flowers come in a wide range of colors and provide a burst of color in the spring garden. Plant them in a sunny location and moisten the soil to encourage healthy growth.
- Violas: Similar to pansies, violas are a colorful option for the spring garden. They come in shades of purple, yellow, and white and are known for their sweet fragrance. Plant them in well-draining soil and water regularly to keep them looking their best.
- Ranunculus: This stunning springtime plant is in the Buttercup family. It provides fragrant blooms and dazzling colors – pink, yellow, red, orange, and more. Their blooms are truly eye-catching! Great for your garden landscape or a cut flower. Plant them in the sun, and after blooming is done, dig up the tubers and save for next spring
- Sweet Alyssum: This low-growing annual is perfect for adding a touch of color to the edge of your garden or along a walkway. It comes in white, pink, and purple shades and has a sweet fragrance. They also make for great filler in a planter, as these delicate flowers do a great job filling space. Plant it regularly in well-draining soil and water to keep it looking its best.
- Primroses: A colorful addition to your garden beds, borders, or containers. Primroses are early springtime bloomers that like well-drained lightly-shady locations. These plants are on the cusp of our growing zone, so with a bit of luck, you’ll see your primroses again next spring.
As you can see, many beautiful and colorful flowers exist in your spring garden in Illinois. You can create a beautiful and thriving garden by selecting the right plants, preparing the soil, and providing the proper care. Monitor the weather and protect your plants from frost if necessary. With a little effort and attention, you’ll be rewarded with a gorgeous spring garden that will bring joy and beauty to your home all season.